Travel Vaccinations

Which vaccinations do I need?

Please consider your travel vaccinations at least 8 weeks before you are due to travel as some vaccinations need to be given well in advance in order to be effective.

The following website provides information about which vaccinations are advisable in different areas of the world:

If you think you may need an NHS vaccination please use the above website to fill in the Practice’s travel risk assessment form and return to the Practice.

We can give you a print out of your immunisations history for information if you need to check what vaccinations you have had in the past.

NHS Vaccinations

The vaccinations provided for free on the NHS at this Practice include:

NHS VaccinationHow often should it be renewed for travel?
Diptheria, polio, and tetanus (combined booster)Every 10 years – following initial course of 5 vaccines
TyphoidEvery 3 years – needed for travel
Hepatitis AEvery 25 years – following 2 initial vacciations

Private Travel Vaccinations

The travel vaccinations which are not provided free on the NHS include; Rabies, Hepatitis B, Japanese Encephalitis, Tick-borne Encephalitis, Mengititis ACWY, Yellow Fever, and Malaria.  You will need to arrange these privately.

The following provide travel health services:

  • Tel no: 0330 100 4106
  • Tel no: 01341 555061
  • Boots Pharmacy, 72-74 High Street, Worcester, WR1 2EU
  • Book online at
  • Boots Pharmacy, 197-199 High Street, Cheltenham, GL50 1DB
  • ASDA Pharmacy, Belmont Road, Hereford, HR1 7JE   Tel no: 01432 346310 (Malaria Prevention Service including anti-malarial medication)

Travelling Abroad with Medication

The advice below is taken from  :

You need to prove your medication is prescribed to you if;​​​​​​​

  • It containes a “controlled drug”
  • You have it on you when you’re entering or leaving the UK.

You could get a fine or got to prison if you travel with medicine that is illegal in another country – check with the Embassy of the country you’re going to before you travel. 

It is your responsibility to establish the rules for your destination, airline and any country you are travelling through.  These may all be different!  Please check your prescribed and any over the counter medications you are taking.

The Practice can provide a “Letter to carry abroad” for your prescribed medication which is signed by a GP.  You will need to request this at least 3 weeks before you travel.  There is charge for this non-NHS work of £25.00.